Monday, September 17, 2007

The Adventures of MS Girl

We last left our heroine at yet another exciting Dr appt where she was told there was a possibility that the lesion affecting her vision might be "fixed" as in "Sorry. You're stuck with this, my dear." Well MS Girl just didn't like that answer very much, so she went off in search of more answers.

Her journey led her to a Neuro-Opthamologist who did an extensive eye exam and concluded that she did not show signs of 6th cranial nerve palsy (what everyone thought the MS was doing to her brain causing double vision). Sooooo, then what is it? Dr. W seems to think it is muscular in origin.

Wait!?!? So what does this mean? Was the MS diagnosis wrong?
"Um, No." Dr. W and Dr. Thrower (and 4 other doctors) all agree it IS MS. "You do have MS. You also seem to have something else that is causing the problem with your vision."
Coincidence that the MS was discovered by the sudden onset of binocular diplopia? Perhaps. Or it is likely it WAS the MS messing up the eyes and now something else has taken over and continued the exciting battle going on in the left eye!!!

Next the journey took her to Dr. B, a Pediatric Opthomologist who knows a heck of a lot about muscular eye problems. A loooong visit later, Dr. B seems to think it is either A) the MS and all the new medicines have caused a major stress to my body and my left eye muscle has retaliated by deciding not to work, or B) it is another neurological disease called Myasthenia Gravis, which commonly causes muscle weakness in the eyes.

Ok, wait one cotton pickin minute. You are telling me I might have not One, but TWO neurological diseases???? You have got to be kidding me. I know I am a Drama Queen and all, but really...isn't this going a bit too far?

The thing is though, it would explain things. If it is this Myasthenia Gravis (MG) it explains why my vision hasn't improved with steroids or IVIG. And it would open the doors to new medicines to try that might improve my vision if it truly is muscular. But, holy crapola, Batman! Do I really have time for another major illness here? I don't know if I can be a cheerleader/advocate/spokesperson for TWO diseases! Plus this MG, while it doesn't appear life-threatening or totally horrific...it still doesn't look especially fun. There are things about it that could be a lot less than fun, in fact.

So for her next mission (on Friday), MS Girl will fly (well, actually she will be driven by someone) to Shepherd Spinal Center for her MRI results and he appt with Dr. Thrower. And she will ask to be tested for this Myasthenia thing to rule it in or out of the equation.
And she will stay positive and hope for the best, come what may.

Stay tuned for more exciting adventures of MS Girl...I think I may need a theme song...

2 comments:

Alice Gertzman said...

If anybody can cheerlead for two teams at once, you can. Though you shouldn't feel obligated to. This is a crazy, convoluted journey you are on, and I'm sensing that it's got you a little irritated now. Please remember that turtles can, and do, win races. Feel the love--and the faith and the hope--and hang in there, sweet girl.
And keep dancing.
Love you very much!

The Homestead Atlanta said...

What about:

Crankiness and misery never hang around
When they hear this Mighty sound.

"Here I come to save the day"

That means that MS Girl is on her way.
Yes sir, when there is a wrong to right
MS Girl will join the fight.

At the doctor's or in the car,
MS Girl is the coolest by far.

No boa constrictor or tingly legs
or even double vision can have her pegged.

MS Girl goes on without a hitch,
triumphantly declaring, "I'll make MS my bitch!"