Friday, June 1, 2007

Slow and Steady Wins the Race (5/21/07)

Dearest Family & Friends,
It has been 5 weeks since this wacky journey began and though my vision is still not 100% it (usually) gets better every day. Some days are better than others (Isn't that a U2 song??) but I do feel that I am making progress. It is still rather hard to read as the words start to mush all together after about an hour of reading a book or emails. Nevertheless I am grateful to have the ability to read even for a little while!

I started my Betaseron injections (aka Wonder-Drug) just over a week ago and this morning I did the first "upping" of the dosage. Apparently it is a pretty strong drug (the stronger the better, gotta heal those brain lesions!!) so Dr. Thrower put me on a schedule that weans me on to a full dose. I am doing great with the actual injections, though I do feel a bit like a human pincushion! hahaha. The only downside to the Wonder-Drug is that it takes a while for my body to get used to it and causes me to feel flu-like and run fevers, which in turn makes the double vision worse. SO annoying. Sometimes it feels like two steps forward, one step back...but I AM moving forward. :-)

I have to share this one last thing: many of you know I am obsessed and fascinated with cards. I love picking out cards for people's birthdays, anniversaries, or just because. I think receiving something in one's mailbox other than junkmail and bills is such a wonderful surprise these days. And I would be lying if I said I didn't love receiving cards, too.
Well, let me tell you I have Never had so many cards in all my life. I taped them up all over my kitchen cabinets and I am actually starting to run out of room!!! Whenever I feel a little bit sad or dejected about this whole thing, I go stand in my kitchen and re-read all my amazing cards and I am instantly reminded that I am not alone in this journey and that there is still so much life to be lived and so many laughs to share with all of you.

I cannot thank you enough.
Looking forward to re-joining society with 100% single vision very soon...
Slow and steady wins the race :-)
My love always,
Caroline

No comments: